Number of Days
2 day, 09:00 to 16:30. Your instructor is available during lunch and after 16:30 for informal discussions about your specific area of interest or applications.
This course provides overview of the HL7 Version 2 standard with a focus on understanding it from an implementation perspective. Large parts of the NHS Interoperability Toolkit (ITK) is based upon HL7 Version 2 which is widely used within the NHS.
HL7 version 2 is the main interoperability standard used to support workflows within a hospital setting – it is used throughout the NHS. Knowledge of HL7 version 2 is effectively a requirement for all those interested in achieving systems interoperability within a trust.
Who should attend?
- This is a practical and hands-on 2-day training course which is aimed at helping those involved with the design, development, implementation, deployment and support of systems that use (or will use) the HL7 Version 2 standard.
- It is an ideal course for those needing to integrate systems within the setting of a single trust. After attending you will have a strong understanding and knowledge of the HL7 Version 2 standard, how it is used and why HL7 Version 2 is important.
The course offers an introduction to the HL7 Version 2 standard, designed for those who need to implement it or work with existing interfaces that make use of it.
- Historical Perspective
- Foundation: Dynamic models
- Trigger Events
- Message exchange paradigms
- Foundation: Static (content) models
- Abstract Message Structure, Fields, and Components
- Data Types
- Encoding Rules: Classic and XML syntax
- Z-Segments, Extensions to HL7
- An Overview of the version 2 documentation
- Profiles and localization
- Conformance and HL7 Tools
- Testing, programming APIs
- Use of HL7 version 2 in key domains
- Patient Registration Details
- Observation Reporting and Order Entry
- IHE Radiology workflow profile
- A basic understanding of healthcare IT systems and the requirements for integration.
- Students should have a notebook PC as exercises include PC based work on sample messages.
- During the training course a Windows-based toolkit (a 30-day evaluation version of 7Edit) will be used. Administrator rights will be required to install the toolkit. If you’re using an open source OS or a Mac, please ensure that you have the proper VM software installed.
- If one organization has multiple participants they could share a notebook PC; the recommended maximum number of users is 2.
Introductory Reading Materials
In order to prepare for the training course the Course Tutor suggests that trainees may want to read the documentation below. If you have prior knowledge of healthcare processes and/or healthcare IT you can probably skip most of them.
- About HL7: HL7 on HL7, and HL7 in Wikipedia
- Healthcare terms: Patient, and Provider.
- Typical IT applications used in healthcare: HIS/PAS, CPOE, RIS, PACS, and Healthcare processes.
- About HL7 version 2 (optional): High level description of HL7 v2. HL7 v2 is an EDI standard.
- René Spronk, HL7/IHE/DICOM Trainer, Ringholm.
- René has been providing both HL7 version 2 as well as HL7 version 3 training all around Europe since 2001. He has first hand experience in implementing HL7 version 2 as well as HL7 version 3 interfaces.
- Ringholm bv is a group of European experts in the field of messaging standards and systems integration in healthcare IT.
- Other tutors may be present should the number of trainees be larger than 20.
Terms and Conditions: Please read the Terms and Conditions.