HL7 International established its European Office as a private foundation in Brussels in 2010 to support its mission in creating HL7 standards and frameworks that are widely and easily used enabling interoperability in healthcare, also serving the specific needs of the European community and its national HL7 affiliates.
Specifically, the HL7 Foundation supports the mission of HL7 International through activities focused in cross-border eHealth interoperability in the wider European region by:
- promoting the use of the HL7 framework and protocol specifications
- encouraging the use of the HL7 framework and protocol specifications by health systems and service providers
- Seeking formal accreditation for these HL7 protocol specifications where necessary
- generally, promoting high quality, cost-effective use of information systems in the widest variety of health and healthcare related environments.
The HL7 Foundation contributes directly or indirectly, in collaboration with HL7 affiliates and other stakeholders to the development and adoption of HL7 standards and frameworks:
- Work with International and European Organizations and establish partnerships
- Mobilize resources from the public, private, and philanthropic sectors
- Participate in EU funded programs
- Run campaigns, organize conferences, seminars and fora
- Contribute to and conduct research and studies
- Publish and promote all documentation relating to the use of the framework and protocol specifications developed by HL7 who shall exercise all applicable copyrights to said materials.
- Support and contribute to clinical trials.
Visit the HL7 Europe website