FHIR® Overview training course
of Days: 2
day, 09:00 to 16:30. Your instructor is available during lunch and after 16:30
for informal discussions about your specific area of interest or applications.
of course content: This training course offers a hands-on overview of the content of the HL7 FHIR standard. It also offers guidance on how to design, develop and test software that uses the HL7 FHIR interoperability standard, all the way from the wire-format up to validation and storage. The development process of new HL7 FHIR resources will not be touched upon.
Should Attend: This training course is aimed at those involved with the design, development, implementation, deployment and support of systems that use (or will use) the HL7 FHIR standard.
There are two tracks when it comes to the hands-on exercises: the default exercise track is aimed at a general audience; a specialized track (based on the FHIR reference implementations) is aimed at software programmers.
of the training course:
Upon completion of this training course, attendees will be able to:
- Explain the key principles underlying FHIR.
- Explain the relationship between FHIR and related standards (e.g. HL7 CDA/HL7 v2/IHE XDS).
- Describe the characteristics and contents of the core FHIR information models.
- Help their organization to determine if, when, where and how they might implement FHIR
- Understand how FHIR aligns with REST, object-oriented and other common software-engineering principles.
- Compare strategies for using relational or document-oriented storage, validation and use of XML and Json.
- Getting hands-on experience with FHIR.
The attendees are assumed to be familiar with:
- XML, Json and web-infrastructure protocols,
- Although not a requirement, knowledge of HL7 version 2 and/or HL7 version 3 will be helpful in understanding the material,
- Knowledge of .NET or Java platform is helpful, because some of the exercises will be done in either C# or Java. Should you not have knowledge of either platform, then you will be asked to partner with another attendee.
- General principles of data modelling,
- General software development principles like object orientation, databases, layered software design.
- Software implementation of those components
Agenda day 1:
Overview of FHIR
The RESTful design philosophy
Exercise: Requesting a patient resource
Deconstructing FHIR data
Datatypes and primitives
Use-case driven example: Person demographics, with extensions
Contents of the FHIR distribution
More on REST
Bundles, HTTP verbs
Exercise (programmers): Requesting a patient resource using C#/Java support librariesImplementation aspects
Multiple wire formats (JSON, XML)
Implementation Examples, SearchingThe FHIR Operations Framework
Updating metadata: Tags, Security Tags and implicitRules
Exercise: Updating metadata on resources
Exercise: Upload final document and call profile validation
Agenda day 2:
Exercise: Add a contained resource
Paradigms revisited: Document, Messages, REST
Subscription mechanism, End Points
Exercise: create/upload a document to a serverUse-case driven example: clinical document
Constraining resources to match your usecase
Extensions and definitions of extensions
Exercise: modify bundle and call profile validationUse-case driven example: Laboratory orders and resultsSummary and recommendations
V2 messages, V3 CDA, IHE XDS and FHIR
Materials: Each participant
will be provided with handouts containing all materials covered in the
training as well as other support materials. The participants will also receive
a copy of the latest version of the FHIR
Kramer, Mirjam Baltus,(and/or other
tutors, depending on the location and language of the training course).
- Standard £1280+VAT
- HL7 UK member OR NHS Trust Employee £1150+VAT
- HL7 UK Member & NHS Trust employee £1030+VAT
Fees cover course materials, lunch and refreshments. All fees subject to
Terms and Conditions: Please read the Terms
FHIR Online Booking Closed for this course
For any queries please email email@example.com.
Book HL7 Version
8 All Saints Street
London N1 9RL
Phone: +44 20 7520 2414